I recently ordered some new fabric, and it just came in. The outside is a woven fabric, not sure if it's a linen/cotton blend or what, exactly. I love the print though.
Liam helped me sew on this big button, and I decided to use elastic as my loop, since I'm notoriously misjudging length. I figured I would appreciate its forgiving nature.
I love this little crown detail in the fabric.
The inner fabric I think is taffeta. I ironed some fusible fleece onto the backside of the lining fabric to give it some body and cushion.
While this picture is a bit blurry, it's illustrating the (accidental) fact that I can charge my Kindle without taking it out of the case.
I made some little pockets on the left-hand side. They could be used for notes or cards, or earbuds for audio listening.
The corners are simply triangles. I had to finish two sides of the triangles on the left, but was able just to serge the edges of the triangles in with the right edge, top, and bottom. I serged most of the way around, leaving about a 5 inch opening to turn it inside out. I had intended to top stitch all around, but didn't leave myself enough extra room for that, so I attempted an invisible hand stitch to close it. After I pressed it, you can see a bit of the stitching, but it's not egregious in my opinion.
So, all in all, this was a simple project, inexpensive, and only took a couple hours.